DO you use a locator call in the morning to pin point

DO you use a locator call in the morning

Yes feel it is a must and will not spoke them
4%
No I sit and listen and when I hear then I set up, I don't want a locator spooking them.
13%
No I roost night before and then just set up early.
26%
Don't feel its a must, but use them and don't feel they spook them
57%

Total votes : 23

Re: DO you use a locator call in the morning to pin point

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Ok Deerwhisperer you asked so I added it but now wipped out the earlier responses Sorry guys for losing your early responses
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby B B » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:39 pm

I very rarely use locator calls in the morning unless I'm going in blindly. Most of the time I just do a lot of preseason scouting and set up in the areas where I see birds. If no action I'll go mobile until I find them. That's what I like about turkey hunting the fact that you don't have to sit if you don't want to. Sometimes I won't even go out until it's light out and I'll drive around and locate them in the fields then loop around and set up in the woods. I have to agree with RR it's not that hard, but it sure is fun.
I LIKE TURTLE SOUP !!!
B B
12 Pointer

Unread postby mperri » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Like a few others have said try to roost them, then follow up the next morning with a locator to confirm where they are at.
Matthew Perri
mperri
y buck

Unread postby Bones » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:46 pm

My morning hunts I always know the area and have a good idea where the birds are roosted there is no need to use one in my situations.
I have used a crow call in the past in late morning hours to shock gobble a bird into giving up his location. but never in the morning.
I try to get in quietly with out giving up that Im there, no noise, no light.
Bones
8 Pointer

Unread postby timbouy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Most of the time I already know where they are roosting. I try not to set up too close,but sometimes they decide to roost right above my tent. :roll: Never used a locator call in the morning.
timbouy
8 Pointer

Unread postby Dastunz » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:55 pm

longbeard56 wrote:I believe it's all situation driven. If you can and know the woods your hunting I like to try to locate them at roost time. To be honest I usually use a Turkey call to do so.

X2. Fly down cackle seems to do a fine job of locating.
"Fishing is hope experienced.... Catching a fish is hope affirmed." --PAUL QUINNETT
Dastunz
Droptine

Unread postby 55project » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:17 am

Turkey hunting is alot like predator hunting. The feeling you get when your calling get's a reply of the quarry your looking for and then it answers back 8-) and then it starts heading towards you. 8-) 8-) Definilty get's the old heart pumping double time. ;) :D
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Unread postby powerstroke250 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:12 am

X2. Fly down cackle seems to do a fine job of locating.[/quote]

Ive done that once or twice, im not too good at it but it was pretty cool hearing the turkeys response after I did that.
powerstroke250
6 pointer

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 am

Yea my problem with using a turkey call to locate in the morning is then you have their eyes on you and they are listening.
If I didn't put to them to roost the night before I like using a locator call in the morning to pinpoint the birds, I try to set up 100-150 yards from tree. Depends on time of season and how thick the woods are, early with no cover may have to be further. My areas the birds usually roost same general area but can range 100-150 yards.

I like the confidence of know where the birds are, can pick a set up I want then can sit down and relax. Give it 15 minutes...wait for the first hen or thunder chicken to start talking...GAME ON BABY

With using a locator call and getting a set up I like my success rate is around 50%. WIth a owl call(no they don't always answer) I have had them sound off half hour before dark giving me plenty of time to get the right set up

With just going in, waiting to hear them and then scrambling to set up less then 10%.

Great debate, like hearing different techniques and tips. Can never stop learning

Can't wait for the start of the season, new shared hunts, birds teaching me a lesson or two, finding a new legendary bird to pursue.

Last year was blessed to hunt with Bigcitybowhunter, American Hunter and the legendary Redneck. Had a good time pursuing a legendary 4 beard bird (actually called him in on the one hunt with American Hunter but Pete and American Hunter didn't know it was him and I was back and couldn't see to the field) Hopefully see old quad beard starting in March ;)
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby QUACKHEAD » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:27 pm

in new spots il locate the nite before ,the farm i hunt the same spot every yr i just look up and i can see them roosting as i walk through the field lol its awsome watching them gobble from the roost :mrgreen: but i always imitate the flydown ,,,,smacking my pant leg and cakkling it drives gobblers nutz !!no owl hoots or crow calls just nice quiet entrys ,,but there is one deadly top secret method were noone else hears you but the turkeys :twisted: :twisted: i use a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:
QUACKHEAD
Droptine

PreviousNext

Return to Turkey Hunting