Trophy Blackfish

Trophy Blackfish

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:09 pm

Hey anglers,

Recently, I filmed Bob Misak fishing off a jetty in South Jersey on a hot, sticky August day. For years, Bob has written and provided photos for The Fisherman and other magazines. He now is The Fisherman’s Field Editor for the South Jersey/Delaware Bay area.

Bob, an expert angler, caught fish on every third or fourth cast The action was crazy, and my camera was rolling. He fished, using asian crabs as bait, for tog (aka tautog* or blackfish) and sheepshead—the trophy fish for NJ anglers. He caught lots of tog—most of them throwbacks but in mid-morning he landed one huge, male keeper that pretty well filled up his cooler all by itself. During the day, he switched up his rigs and bait—he’s a master at the change-over—and landed a large variety of other fish, such as blues, kingfish, flounder, etc. Bob’s a generous type so, at day’s end, he filleted that giant tog and gave it to me to take home for grilling.

My son, Pete, also was with us. Bob was a patient tutor, with some great tips. Pete caught a good load of bluefish, some throwback flounder, a handful of kingfish and some sea robins. His trophy for the day was a 16” summer striped bass—another throwback.

All in all, it was a great experience. I gained a lot of knowledge about filming on jetties and my son picked up some skills that he’ll use for many years. Young Pete still is talking about that trip and the legendary Bob Misak. We both would like to do it again sometime.

Share the tradition! Take a youngster fishing or hunting.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tautog
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Re: Trophy Blackfish

Unread postby petejr5078 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:54 am

As my first time fishing off the jetties, it was more than I expected, far more action than I thought possible on land. I recommend it to any of you who enjoy catching a variety.

- Pete jr.
petejr5078
Button Buck

Unread postby Dastunz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:31 pm

Jr. You gotta try hooking up with a nice sized striper from the surf bud. What a rush.
"Fishing is hope experienced.... Catching a fish is hope affirmed." --PAUL QUINNETT
Dastunz
Droptine

Unread postby Thedeerwhisperer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:45 am

I have caught some of my biggest Striped bass of of Jetty's in NJ and in a lot of cases in high seas do to storms rolling in haha...Jetty's can be incredible fishing also an adrenaline rush when you have a 25-35lb stripers on the line and waves are crashing into the jetty's at your feet!

I usually throw lures off the jetty's since I chase the bait fish and wait to see the pods that get pushed into the jettys as big stripers attack the the surface of the water.

Off the beach I will clam and throw bunker chuncks.
Thedeerwhisperer
Droptine

Unread postby irishangler25 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:51 pm

it sounds like a awesome day
irishangler25
6 pointer

Return to Fishing off Jettys