Tautog

Tautog

Unread postby Zamboni » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:54 am

Well I decided to hit one of my favorite jettys yesterday (06/23). I decided to target tog (not in season I know) I catch and release all and tagged the last one I caught. I used what I think is the best tog bait, sand fleas. I killed them! I caught about 15 in 2 hours. After being skunked fishing in the surf for two weeks I needed to up my spirits and feel some tugs on my line and that did the trick.
It's not your vote that counts but who counts the vote !
Zamboni
6 pointer

Re: Tautog

Unread postby rr79 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:30 am

I have cought lots of those suckers from a boat. But since i no longer have a boat i need to go on foot. I have yet to catch one off a jetty but i usually give up pretty fast and fish for other species. Any tips? Right in rocks or on edge? Tide ect. Rig?
The word harvesting in for vegetables!
I kill things!

#Teamstickbow#Stickbowkilla#
rr79
Droptine

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:03 am

I did a video a few years back with my son and a writer by the name bob misak . the video is called fishing off jettys for trophy blackfish , you can find it on the video section on the homepage at the very bottom . man them blackfish are a blast to hunt for . when you posted the report on tautog you got me thinking about that august trip a few years back . thanks so much for dropping in on us :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby rr79 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:13 am

Yeah i watched that video bgcm. Was good.
I kill things!

rr79
Droptine

Unread postby Bottom sweeper » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:21 am

I like using jig heads when conditions allow but if not just a standard tog rig with the least amount of weight possible and close to the rocks you want to look for small current breaks that you can drop into. Zamboni did you happen to catch any trigger fish while togging ?
Bottom sweeper
y buck

Unread postby Zamboni » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:27 pm

rr79,
I have an unorthodox way of tog fishing. My main line is 20lb braid, I tie about a 15' length of 20lb mono leader line to line using a uni-knot (no swivel). I then tie a 1/0 octopus hook to leader, then I pinch an 1/8 oz split shot to leader approximately 18" above the hook and that's it. I will add more split shot if the current is stronger. I use the long leader due to the rocks, unavoidable snagging around them and the braid does not break easily. The leader breaks and still have plenty left so I tie a new hook and split shot...keep on fishing with little time lost.

Bottom sweeper,
A fellow angler told me he caught a trigger at that jetty earlier last week but this jetty is big and takes some looking to find the triggers, but they are there.
Zamboni
6 pointer

Unread postby rr79 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:45 pm

Ok thx i am halfway there all my salt rods have braid with 15ft of mono on them already. Havnt lost a fish since i started useing that set up. Braid just isnt abraision resistent.
I kill things!

rr79
Droptine

Unread postby Zamboni » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:44 pm

I hit my favorite jetty again with a load of sand fleas, I hit a spot where every cast I would get a bite. The tog love the sand flea!
Zamboni
6 pointer

Unread postby rr79 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:56 pm

What tide? I am gonna try as soon as they come in. Not tossing a yummy tog back into the water. I know the limmit for nxt season is 1 fish right?
I kill things!

rr79
Droptine

Unread postby Zamboni » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:08 pm

Yes starting July 17th. I caught about 15 and of those two were keeper size.
Zamboni
6 pointer

Next

Return to Fishing off Jettys