Jetty/ Rock wall tactics

Jetty/ Rock wall tactics

Unread postby phillyoutdoorsman » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Fishing jetties or rock walls can be very frustrating but also very rewarding. Fishing that tight to rocks means you are going to lose countless rigs. I was fishing a rock wall in North Wildwood and I was watching guys all up and down the rock wall getting hung up on the rocks and breaking off. Looking at the rigs they were fishing gave me an idea, instead of using the standard weight on the bottom, hook suspended rig, I took a break-away bobber, attached it about 6 feet from the hook. Right above the hook I put a few split shot to get by bait down. I found this gets the bait in the same area of the water column but keeps your tackle out of the rocks.
Does anyone else fish rocks like this? If not, how do you guys fish them?
"So, when's the best time to fish?" "Whenever you can."
phillyoutdoorsman
y buck

Re: Jetty/ Rock wall tactics

Unread postby rr79 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:36 pm

Usually a inline egg sinker or jig head for me. I am not a pro yet. But if i get snagged i usually get it off without breaking off.
The word harvesting in for vegetables!
I kill things!

#Teamstickbow#Stickbowkilla#
rr79
Droptine

Unread postby Phillyarcher » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:58 pm

You must have been fishing at the inlet along the walls. The best way I have fished this was like you said using a boober with weight. One other way is to fish the tide in the rocks with split shots. Next time you go look at the tide going out till its gets to be slack tide. You will be able to see the holes and then mark them or if you can remember were they are this helps a lot and you should not loose that many rigs. Good luck.
Phillyarcher
12 Pointer

Unread postby phillyoutdoorsman » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Phillyarcher, exactly where I was at. I know where most of the rocks are, but still get the occasional snag on the rocks I cant see
phillyoutdoorsman
y buck

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:24 pm

I did a fishing video on trophy black fish on the jetty's . go to our homepage under bgcm video's , this fishing trip is at the very bottom of our list , some good saltwater action off the jetty's :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby QUACKHEAD » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:07 pm

usually when i fish rocks its pluggin.just ask those stupid rock squatters that take anything they catch they will show ya :x :x :x
QUACKHEAD
Droptine

Unread postby Dastunz » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:36 pm

Cheap nuts and bolts for weight and put a rubber band from weight to line. If your weight gets stuck just break the rubber band. And put on a new one.
"Fishing is hope experienced.... Catching a fish is hope affirmed." --PAUL QUINNETT
Dastunz
Droptine

Unread postby ol timer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:18 pm

[quote="phill I took a break-away bobber, attached it about 6 feet from the hook. Right above the hook I put a few split shot to get by bait down. I found this gets the bait in the same area of the water column but keeps your tackle out of the rocks.
Does anyone else fish rocks like this? If not, how do you guys fish them?[/quote]

Bobbers, Split shots,
you are not fishing a lake! clams and bait fish are all at the bottom and that's where the game fish are feeding. If your loosing rigs make more that's my advise its the ocean, learn the tides and you'll loose less rigs.
ol timer
12 Pointer

Unread postby phillyoutdoorsman » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:52 pm

I know it sounds crazy, but Ive had success fishing that way, and I only fish that way when conditions allow.
phillyoutdoorsman
y buck

Unread postby bigdsman » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:07 pm

I have a house right across the street from the rock wall ,the little white one,if you don,t know the right spots people loss tons of rigs,better to fish the beach unless you tog fish.
bigdsman
8 Pointer

Next

Return to Fishing off Jettys