Droptine

Re: Excited to talk with everyone!

Unread postby Cricker » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:38 pm

Welcome. Look forward to hearing about food plots
Cricker
12 Pointer

Unread postby Nevermoor » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:44 pm

Welcome. Just "Liked" you on FB. I will be starting my first plot this spring. Your help will be great.
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them.
Nevermoor
6 pointer

Unread postby Tollkeeper » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:45 pm

Hey there Ted , welcome aboard to the ODV ! Good to have another fellow Keystoner on the site. Also, thank you for your service to our country as a marine. For myself, I'm from Bucks county outside Philly & served in the Air Force 70 - 74 . Like you, I'm also an avid bow hunter & fisherman , though most of my fishing is salt water.
Be looking forward to reading your upcoming articles ,particularly on food plots . Couple of questions right off the bat. Just getting started, do you recommend clover as a main stay ? If so , what is the best pH level to try & maintain ? I'm also interested in mixing in some buckwheat & maybe apraxia. Would this work well together ? One more. The best fertilizer strength , like 5 - 10 - 5 or something better. Appreciate any input . Thanks ! Good Hunting !
Tollkeeper
6 pointer

Unread postby Teddy Klark » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:17 pm

Nevermoor wrote:Welcome. Just "Liked" you on FB. I will be starting my first plot this spring. Your help will be great.

What are you thinking of planting? How big of an area is it and how much sun does it get?
Teddy Klark
spike

Unread postby Teddy Klark » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Tollkeeper wrote:Hey there Ted , welcome aboard to the ODV ! Good to have another fellow Keystoner on the site. Also, thank you for your service to our country as a marine. For myself, I'm from Bucks county outside Philly & served in the Air Force 70 - 74 . Like you, I'm also an avid bow hunter & fisherman , though most of my fishing is salt water.
Be looking forward to reading your upcoming articles ,particularly on food plots . Couple of questions right off the bat. Just getting started, do you recommend clover as a main stay ? If so , what is the best pH level to try & maintain ? I'm also interested in mixing in some buckwheat & maybe apraxia. Would this work well together ? One more. The best fertilizer strength , like 5 - 10 - 5 or something better. Appreciate any input . Thanks ! Good Hunting !

First, clover is a great mainstay plot, it is incredibly nutritous and very digestible for whitetail deer. It also will feed deer for 8-10 months.
The optimum pH for clover is anywhere between 6 an 7.
As far as mixing in Buckwheat, I wouldn't. It's a great stand alone plot, but grows too thick and will essentially block our and suffocate your clover. you only need a cover crop for clover if planting in the fall. But if cover crop is needed I highly reccomend using Jerry Oats. Very nutritous, and will die off in the winter, allowing the clover to spring up alone and uninhibited in the spring. If wanting to mix a seed into your clover plot just to enhance your plot I recommend using Chicory, it's tap root makes it very hardy and will keep the dry spots of your plot green and tasty.
As far as fertilizer is concerned I highly recommend picking up a soil sample test kit. They're cheap and sold at any local mill store. It will tell you exactly which fertilizer will be bestnformyour specific plot. If test kit isn't an option I recommend using 6-24-24

If you're planting in Pennsylvania I really suggest checking out North Ridge, our blends are design3d and tested right here in PA!
http://www.northridgewildlifeforage.com

Thanks for your service, I served from 2001-2008
And worked closely with the Air Force on my last deployment, some great guys and gals!
Teddy Klark
spike

Unread postby NJ Cowboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:48 am

Welcome 2 the OV
Getchasum !!
NJ Cowboy
8 Pointer

Previous

Return to Introductions