Increase your chance for that Gobbler.

Increase your chance for that Gobbler.

Unread postby Turkeyhunter50 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Alot of you are doing it but if you haven't yet, break out those trail cameras. It's not too late to start. Pattern the birds like your deer. If you have trail cameras with "plot cam" capability, all the better. But any camera set out there is better then none.The winter flocks are broken up for the most part and birds have staked their territory for the most part. Been scouting for a few weeks already. (Some birds are still traveling). I've had times in the past where I just checked a good spot and saw nothing. Fifteen minutes later I'd get a call from a friend or farmer telling me that he's watching gobblers strutting on a field I just left. With a plot camera setup, I would have had the info regardless. Not everyone has unlimited time to scout for birds so make the most of it. Put the cameras back to work for you. You'll gain some valuable information that could help you score on a good bird. Good luck this season.
Turkeyhunter50
spike

Re: Increase your chance for that Gobbler.

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 am

Nice tip, always good to know the birds are still there! Save a ton of leg work
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby Turkeyboy44 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:28 pm

its nice to know they are there but I like doing the run gun and leg work. I hate hunting turkeys like deer. If birds dont want to talk I move on. I dont care if they are there or not. I enjoy the interaction with the birds
45 lb Hoyt Dorado Recurve ( at my draw length its right about 50 lbs)
500 Gold Tip traditional xt arrows
Grizzly Stik silver flame and Maasai broadheads

SLAYEROFDEER
Stickbowkilla
Turkeyboy44
Droptine

Unread postby Turkeyhunter50 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:39 pm

To each his own Turkeyboy44. No one method of hunting turkeys is gospel. Like alot of others, I enjoy watching them come in and strut up a storm next to the decoys. I do alot of running and gunning myself. Definately works. But their not always willing to gobble their heads off. Knowing where they are and want to go is a plus. Your not wasting your time in a birdless woods. That's the premise behind using the trail cameras. Locating birds. You know the birds are there and you have a chance. How you decide to go after them is up to you. If you do a daybreak set-up where birds are looking to be, it can payoff. Your still interacting with the birds to bring him in but it can be a one sided conversation if he refuses to verbally respond. It's still a challenge whether he gobbles like a champ or comes in silent. No method or tactic is surefire, but with the cameras helping with the scouting, your simply increasing your chances at taking a bird.
Turkeyhunter50
spike

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:31 am

I like this weeks spring turkey tip of the week TurkeyHunter50 :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Return to Turkey Hunting