Helping a friend and Co-worker harvest his first Gobbler

Helping a friend and Co-worker harvest his first Gobbler

Unread postby Spitfire-Spurs » Tue May 16, 2017 10:16 am

Bright and early Monday morning of “B” week I was able to help a friend and Co-worker successfully harvest his first wild turkey gobbler ever. The weekend preceding our hunt saw unforeseen complications and I found myself having to scramble and come up with a plan “B” for where I was going to take my friend out on Monday morning.

I took time on Sunday to head down into zone 21 and check out some WMA’s that I had printed maps out for and had been planning to scout, fortunately I was also meeting up with another member of the Outdoorsmen’s Voice to drop off some items.

While we were talking I explained why I was down his way and that I was getting ready to head over to a nearby WMA. Not being overly familiar with the area I asked the quickest way to get there, not only did I get pointed in the right direction but also received a few suggestions as to where I might look for birds.
After a quick drive and a relatively short scouting session I had a game plan. I had marked the parking locations in my GPS so I could find them again in the morning and headed back to coordinate with my friend Curtis.

We met up at my house at 3:30 am and headed out. We slid into woods and set up the blind and decoys as quietly as possible. As daybreak came we strained, listening for birds. I few faint gobbles sounded off in the distance from several directions.

A fair amount of loud and aggressive calling had reached out and inspired the gobblers and it was evident that they were headed our way from multiple directions. The first longbeard to popped into sight and slid by the blind at twenty five yards, cutting out to the corner of a field another 35 yards away. From there he paced back and forth where we could see his head and the top of his fan as he occasionally gobble at us.

I took a second longbeard showing up for the lead gobbler to decide to begin to move in on the decoys. I guess his urge to get to the hen first was overriding his cautious instincts. Within moments both birds were crossing in front of the blind about ten yards apart from each other. I told Curtis to take his shot when he was ready and I would shoot if the lead bird was in the open.

Curtis’ 12 gauge roared and the big gobbler went down hard. The lead bird scampered in an out of holes in the brush as it panicked and darted away. The woods was full of commotion, with alarm clucks sounding, not only from the lead bird but from at least three other gobblers out in the field as well as the beating wings of the death throes coming from the bird Curtis had dropped.

Article- Curtis.JPG
Article- Curtis.JPG (156.31 KiB) Viewed 214 times

Curtis’ Gobbler weighed in @ 19.0 Lbs., had 5/8 inch spurs and a 10 inch beard.

We waited, letting the woods calm down, all the birds were now out in the corner of the field again. I picked up the call and started clucking again. Immediately all the gobblers in the field were sounding off again, but they were not in a hurry to leave. After five minutes I slipped out of the blind and moved forward ever so slightly, no more than twenty yards or so. I eased my binoculars up and could see the birds out in the field. At this point they seemed to be inclined to slowly move off, I softly called again and one of the longboards snapped his head around and began to walk back into the woods. I crouched against the base of a large oak tree.

It wasn’t long before I could see the gobblers head making his way around to the left to get a look at the decoys. Moments later the second longbeard was on the ground, no more than 10 to 15 minutes after Curtis had pulled the trigger on his and it was just past 7:00am.

Article- Joe.jpg
Article- Joe.jpg (193.87 KiB) Viewed 214 times

My Gobbler weighed in @ 20.0 Lbs., had 7/8 inch spurs and a 9 & ¼ inch beard.

Article- Both.jpg
Article- Both.jpg (212.94 KiB) Viewed 214 times

Truly a great hunt and an awesome first gobbler for Curtis.
Spitfire-Spurs
spike

Re: Helping a friend and Co-worker harvest his first Gobbler

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Tue May 16, 2017 11:54 am

Good deal guys, way to get it done!! Happy for you. Hope Curtis is hooked now
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Wed May 17, 2017 12:32 am

very strong write up Joe well done . thanks for the report and photos maybe your buddy will join us one day here on the site . thanks for sharing his first successful spring turkey hunt with us :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby bigcitybowhunter » Wed May 17, 2017 8:24 am

Wow that's an amazing hunt! Great job! Congrats to both you guys!
bigcitybowhunter
Droptine

Unread postby Thunderchicken » Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Congrats to you both!
Mathews Halon 6
QAD Rest
Easton FMJ Arrows
G5 Striker 100gr.
Tru Glo power dot sight

United Bowhunters of NJ
NWTF - Tri-County Longbeards