Big NJ Bear Down

Anything with a string and an arrow

Big NJ Bear Down

Unread postby Thedeerwhisperer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:50 pm

I wanted to share an amazing experience I had last night in the New Jersey woods. My friend Craig Meyer located a world class bear and asked me to come along for the chase with him. Needless to say I was nervous yet excited as I knew we would be hunting this bear from the ground with a bow and if he did what we needed him to do, he would be within 5yds of us at one point or another…so not a very comfortable situation knowing there is a chance 600lbs of bear will be nearly on top of us at some point lol. To make a long day’s worth of events a bit shorter for you all, the bear showed up as the sun was starting to go down but as he neared he began to act aggressively by swatting a small log around and by tearing up some small trees not too far to the left of us so we knew he sensed our presence or smelt us and was letting it be known it wasn’t welcomed and again, we are eye level with this beast ha-ha but at this time he was close but no visual yet. He continued (for whatever reason knowing something wasn’t right) to approach our setup anyway and at this point, we knew he was an aggressive dominant bear and was not the type of bear to back down. He continued to circle around alongside and behind our setup for awhile and we still could not see him but knew he was there as we could hear him smelling around with his big old nostrils working overtime and short growling/whooshing sounds coming out of his big old jaws. He finally got curious enough and we could hear him making his final approach and as he got almost into view we heard him make one more act of intimidation right next to us as he tore apart a laurel tree and swatted at one last log right before he stepped into full view and into the clearing we were overlooking at 5yds! Once he stepped into full view he instantly snapped his head around and stared right at me (I am 5yds!!!) I can smell his breath in the breeze and this continued for what felt like an hour but more than likely 30 seconds had passed and I am being honest when I tell you not many things intimidate me but at that moment I felt VERY uncomfortable and intimidated ha-ha looking a giant unhappy bear eye to eye is not for the faint of heart. He then made a “whoosh” sound with his mouth as still agitated as he couldn’t quite sense where we were and slowly swayed his body back and forth (which is a sign of dominance and aggression) as he turned slightly quartering away and gave us a perfect 7 yd. shot. At that moment my heart really began pumping as I knew it was going to get real and quickly as Craig was about to take the shot and all I could picture is the bear turning toward us and charging right at us, and that would not of ended well. As Craig released the arrow and it center punched the bear, the old warrior let loose an enormous bone chilling roar and slightly turned toward us before taking off like a rocket but thankfully decided to run to the side of us to where he sounded like a car busting through the laurels until we heard him crash 40yds to the right of us and than complete silence…neither one of us were willing to move from our setup for a long while as we knew he was with in 50yds and although we were confident of the shot, it was still uncomfortable searching a swamp for a giant bear that could be wounded as there was no death moan that bears tend to make not to mention, we were still in disbelief it all just really happened and how big he actually was so we needed some "catch our breath" time ha-ha…thankfully the drama ended after the shot as Craig Meyer hit the mark perfectly for a quick ethical kill. This was certainly a once in a lifetime experience and one I am so thankful to have been apart of and one I will not forget. This bear is a true trophy with a green skull measurement over 22 inches and it officially weighed in at 640lbs…bear of a lifetime.
Attachments
IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG (77.02 KiB) Viewed 151 times
IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1006.JPG (56.23 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Thedeerwhisperer
Droptine

Re: Big NJ Bear Down

Unread postby bigcitybowhunter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Wow! Awesome story! Congrats to you and your buddy! Now that's a beast!
bigcitybowhunter
Droptine

Unread postby ted b » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 pm

That’s a bear congrats seem he did the work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earse the flock boys
ted b
12 Pointer

Unread postby 55project » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 pm

That's a BIG Boy, Congrats 8-) 8-) 8-)
ODV Moderator

2013-2014 season Predator Champs

2017 Pikerel Contest Champs
55project
Droptine

Unread postby biggamecameraman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:46 pm

fine piece of writing Tony thanks so much for the recap what a beast :D :D :D
Keep the tradition alive. Take a youngster hunting or fishing!
biggamecameraman
Droptine

Unread postby tomcbigbucks » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 am

WOW, now that's one big bear!! Great story congrats to the hunter!!!
A country boy WILL survive! Country living isn't a way of life..it's the ONLY way to live life!!
Pro Staff Covert Trail Cameras http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/
President Tri-County Longbeards http://www.christianbowhunters.org/
tomcbigbucks
Droptine

Return to Archery